Well. The program starts tomorrow! Seeing as I am one of the most nervous people on the face of the planet (Once, I literally started to shake and cry before a parliamentary procedure competition in high school) I am starting to freak out just a little bit. I have re-read EVERY e-mail several times (even the one that I got confirming that they got my application). I have packed and re-packed my bag. Everything barely fits and I had to get rid of a quiet a bit to even get it that close. It is GO TIME.
Best Case Scenario: The program starts in the following way: We play some sweeeet ice breakers and then Dr. B and Dr. H sing “I’ll Make a Man Out of You” from the Disney film Mulan to us because they a) want to scare us b) want us to be ready for anything (including a battle with the Huns) and c) want to remind me (as if I have forgotten) that I have absolutely NO CLUE what I got myself into. (And yes. At some point during the adventure I will walk to the ocean and sing "Reflections") And then everyone wants to be my friend and I am the most popular girl in my class and I have the most comfy bed IN the house!
Worst Case Scenario: No one likes me. And I have to sleep outside with no tent because I did not bring a tent. And then, as if this all isn’t bad enough, I realize that I forgot something really important. And then a rock falls on my head and the cave implodes on me.
And just to double-check my packing list:
- work clothes (i.e. shirts (including one from my first NATIONAL BPA convention!) and shorts and socks) CHECK
- party clothes…well I have one nicer top and a pair of overall shorts… so CHECK
- polio/hiking shoes (and I feel oddly ok making that comparison/joke because FDR is my favorite president!) CHECK
yep. these are my shoes. and i did arrange them that way so that you could see all angles.
- “lightweight sleeping bag” and a pillow. CHECK
- sunscreen (i don't plan on wearing it, but I have it) CHECK
- iPod (I know that there will be at least one night where all I am going to want to do is curl up and listen to a little J.Bieb while watching Wordplay) CHECK
- textbooks, PDF articles, composition notebooks, mechanical pencils. One very nerdy CHECK
- postcards. And postcard stamps. CHECK and CHECK
- a rash... NOPE! good news the rash is gone!! i look normaler again!
- Nalgene water bottles. CHECK
- painted toe nails. CHECK
I think that I have it all... except this really great giant floral shirt!
And...as my final farewell before I enter the "poor man's time machine" (what one of the professors call the cave) I want to leave you with this photo. WISH ME LUCK!! Let's be honest... we all know that I am going to need LOTZ of it!
I found this little tiny paper flag at the pool and I immediately ran back to the house, got Koa, put the flag in the ground, pulled up some grass, and then took this patriotic and inspiring photo. And I did it all in a wet swimsuit with my hair all over the place. You're welcome!