Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Macy’s, Salvation Army, Coke Icee: This is Still America After All!

The first complete day in the Aloha State is coming to a close! But first a wrap up of yesterday: Mom and I made it to the “cottage” last night around 10PM Hawaii time…which is 1AM Idaho time! I had to dump out my entire suitcase to find my pj’s and then I hit the hay while watching one of my favorite movies, Wordplay.


Our meal on the flight came with a prayer and a flower. I tried to take a really pretty/artsy photo with my phone. Obvs that didn't work.


Mai Tai's on the plane!

And then I woke up. Thank you very much Mr. Rooster for helping me with that one (and he didn't even wake me up singing some song from Rock-A-Doodle-Doo). There are wild chickens and cocks (had to) running around all over this island (including in the K-Mart parking lot) and they are not afraid to make their voices heard no matter time in the morning it is. Sooo pleasant!

***FUN FACT: We are staying in Kekaha (“the place” in Hawaiian) which is the home of Hawaii’s first (and according to Wikipedia, only) train robbery! The thief was a fisherman who liked Western movies and wanted to copy them. Learn something new everyday!***

When I finally got out of bed my mom was more than ready to start the day, which included the following: Salvation Army in Hanapepe. WalMart. Salvation Army in Lihue. K-Mart. Macy’s. Taco Bell. While each of these stops was memorable the BEST parts of the day were:
-The recipe that I found for Garbage Soup submitted by Phyllis Diller in a cookbook with recipes from friends of Mamie and Dwight Eisenhower. Who would have thought that Mamie and Ike where so close to Phyllis.
-Not seeing any honeymooning couples committing excessive PDA right in front of me
-Seeing a lookalike of my car (His name is Carlos. He is a green Honda CRV and he is everywhere. They must have made like 800,000 of him just for the state of Idaho!)
- COKE ICEE from the Little Caesars in K-Mart!

Then we came back home and relaxed by the pool while I was forced to read scholarly articles about “sites”, “formation processes”, and “archaeological records.” Dinner. Sunset on the beach. And of course BLOGGGING.

Ignore the fact that my hair does not like this weather and that I was unable to find any funny cat postcards (yet!) I would say that you have yourself a pretty good day! And here are some pics of that day!


Lobster dinner!! (while walking on the beach I found all of these pieces and then put them together. And we didn't have lobster. We had tuna.)


I found this shoe and my heart started to break for the little girl that lost it. And then I felt extra bad for her because I bet that her mom was really upset with her.


I really like this postcard b/c I think that Hawaiian shirts are really funny!


Sunset on the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment